Catholic Scripture Study (CSS) is the ideal program for groups or individuals looking for an inspiring Bible study that is completely faithful to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
The study commentaries are written by leading Scripture scholars and authors and each study contains references to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, papal encyclicals and writings of the early Church Fathers and the saints. Our Program studies include weekly video lectures presented by a Catholic priest.
Catholic Scripture Study provides all the tools you need to start and maintain a successful bible study. You do not need to be an experienced catechist to implement and lead a CSS class. Any lay person can establish this truly life-changing program in their parish or community. Additionally, the CSS Program is the only Scripture study program with a team of dedicated volunteer Regional Directors who provide support to each study leader throughout the program.
The CSS Program studies are designed for group or individual study. Our Program Studies range from 25-28 weeks in length and our Short Studies range from 4 to 16 weeks in length. CSS releases a new full-length feature study to add to the selection of course material each fall and offers shorter scripture and faith based studies throughout the year.
CSS provides time-tested guidelines for structuring a successful and effective Bible study group. Key roles and responsibilities of the CSS core team are defined and the class format is outlined in detail.
The CSS Core Team includes:
- Study Leader – Implements and oversees the program in a home or parish and chooses the core team to assist in implementing and overseeing the program. The Study Leader (if not the parish priest) is encouraged to work closely with his or her pastor.
- Class Administrator – Assists the Study Leader with administrative duties.
- Group Leaders – Facilitate small-group discussion.
Class Format (90 minutes):
- Opening ( 15 minutes) – The group settles in and opens with prayer. Announcements are made at this time.
- Discussion Groups (45 minutes) – Participants break into small groups to discuss the study questions for the weekly lesson. (Participants are expected to have read the lesson material and answered the study questions prior to class each week.) Ideal group size is 10-12 members, including Group Leader.
- Lecture (30 minutes) – All participants gather to watch a DVD lecture based on the lesson. CSS Program lectures are prepared and presented by priests and are designed to guide participants to a deeper understanding of the Scripture they studied in that lesson.
CSS recommends that Study Leaders promote the Bible study program in their parish bulletins and by other means and that they allow a generous amount of time for registration and collection of fees. After the local registration process has been completed, the Study Leader may then order Study Binders in quantity needed.
The Study Binder is a three-ring binder containing the written lessons. Each weekly lesson consists of reprinted biblical text, commentary, Study Questions, Reflection Questions, Voices of the Saints, Catechism Connections, Rome to Home magisterial quotes, a summary of the lesson and Suggested Responses.
- DVD Lecture Series – Insightful 30-minute video lectures presented by Catholic priests to supplement each week’s lesson.
- Getting Started Tools – Online reproducible materials to aid promotion, training and organization for a successful study program. These tools contain the CSS Program Manual, Group Leaders Handbook, posters, flyers, bulletin announcements, sample lessons, registration cards & course certificates.