Catholic Scripture Study (CSS) is ideal for groups or individuals looking for an inspiring Bible study that is completely faithful to the teachings of the Catholic Church.
The study commentaries are written by leading Scripture scholars and authors, and each study contains references to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, papal encyclicals, and writings of the early Church Fathers and the saints. Additional resources are available to study leaders and students on the CSS Program Website.
Our full-length program includes lectures on DVD that accompany each week's lesson. The lectures are given by Catholic priests.
Best of all, because the program and Study Leader Kit provides all the tools, one need not be an experienced catechist to implement and lead a CSS class. Any lay person can establish this truly life-changing program in their parish or community. Additionally, CSS Program is the only Scripture study program with a team of dedicated volunteer Regional Directors who provide support to each study leader throughout the program.
The CSS Program is designed for group or individual study. CSS study groups meet weekly for 25-28 weeks. Each year CSS will release a new full-length feature study to add to the selection of course material. CSS also offers shorter studies that range from 4 to 16 weeks.
CSS provides time-tested guidelines for structuring a successful and effective Bible study group. Key roles and responsibilities of the CSS core team are defined and the class format is outlined in detail.
The CSS Core Team includes:
- Study Leader - Implements and oversees the program in a home or parish and chooses the core team to assist in implementing and overseeing the program. The Study Leader (if not the parish priest) is encouraged to work closely with his or her pastor.
- Class Administrator - Assists the Study Leader with administrative duties.
- Group Leaders - Facilitate small-group discussion.
Class Format (90 minutes):
- Opening ( 15 minutes) - The group settles in and opens with prayer. Announcements are made at this time.
- Discussion Groups (45 minutes) - Participants break into small groups to discuss the study questions for the weekly lesson. (Participants are expected to have read the lesson material and answered the study questions prior to class each week.) Ideal group size is 10-12 members, including Group Leader.
- Lecture (30 minutes) - All participants gather to watch a DVD lecture based on the lesson. CSS Program lectures are prepared and presented by priests and are designed to guide participants to a deeper understanding of the Scripture on which the lesson is based.
CSS recommends that Study Leaders promote the Bible study program in their parish bulletins and by other means and that they allow a generous amount of time for registration and collection of fees. After the local registration process has been completed, the Study Leader may then order Study Binders in quantity needed.
The Study Binder is a three-ring binder containing the written lessons. Each weekly lesson consists of reprinted biblical text, commentary, study questions, Voices of the Saints, reflection questions, Catechism Connections, Rome to Home magisterial quotes, and a summary of the lesson and Suggested REsponses.
Additional Materials include:
- DVD Lecture Series - Insightful 30-minute video lectures presented by Catholic priests to supplement each week's lesson.
- The Essential Folder - Online reproducible materials to aid promotion, training and organization for a successful study program. This online folders contains the Group Leaders Handbook, posters, flyers, bulletin announcements, table signs, sign-in sheets, sample lessons, registration cards, etc.
Study Binder $46.95 (plus shipping)